Wednesday 28 September 2011

28 September 2011
EVALUATION
We had to make a make a design for a mural. To do this I had to prepare by looking at different artists who inspire me, for example; Kara Walker, Si Scott, Richard Hamilton and Michael- Craig Martin. The theme was, ‘who am I, where am I going?’ I began by drawing a mind map and relating pictures to it. At first I found the topic difficult as I wasn’t sure what I would come up with. As I was drawing out the mind map, ideas came to me. Whilst doing the assessment I was given artists to research whose work helped me develop my work as it took shape.  We went on a trip to Liverpool and Old Street where we found incredible street art some of which can be found on page seven of my workbook. This was very helpful.  We looked at work by one of the artists, Richard Hamilton, where he used random household and modern objects of his day and made it into a room. Similarly I created a room by combining 2 sofas, shoes, Dior perfume, watches, and flowers and a wallpaper of a city to make one room. This helped me as I included a few of these objects like the shoe, watch and perfume bottle in the mural.  In class we were assigned a letter each for CREATIVE INDUSTRIES DEPT and I chose out of a hat, the letter A. Below me was the letter U and to combine the work, used the same light blue paint and linked a rainbow. Throughout the mural we had to work as a team to make sure that everything flowed, for example the letter next to me had to have part of the purple watch otherwise it would look odd.  The paints that I used were ‘poster paints’ because if I had used acrylics it would become very expensive. In the end I am very happy with my final piece as it resembles me.     
We looked at Si Scott who is a graphic designer and we had to write our name using his style of work. I enjoyed this as it was fun making up different designs to go around my name. The next artist that we looked at was a woman called Kara Walker and she has an exhibition where there were silhouettes of black people which looked distressing as a lot of them were being abused.  I didn’t like her images as they were strange and I found a silhouette of a couple dancing which I thought was the best and happiest piece for me. I also decided to try and copy her work of the dancing people and looked for research on the dancers but found information on the general exhibition. I found black paper, drew the picture and carefully cut them out. This wasn’t easy as I drew the male dancer in the wrong scale at first but tried again and am happy with the result. Then we looked at Richard Hamilton who was the founder of pop art in 1955.  I made a collage in a similar fashion, using cuttings from magazines to create a room in a modern house.  I really enjoyed this as it was fun finding objects which were appealing to me. Soon after I was told to make four tracings of the collage isolating shapes to create good designs and added in many objects choosing different colour schemes each time. I was shown how to transfer these objects onto Photoshop to clean up the images and move them around on screen.  This gave me an understanding of how I wanted to continue on the idea.    I then had to study Michael Craig-Martin’s work that uses similar techniques.  It was difficult to research his work. I was given a picture of The Bucket, but he doesn’t explain his work on purpose because it is supposed to be up to the imagination of the viewer.  I painted his picture and realised that the colour pink which he had used was very difficult to produce.
Throughout the assignment I have worked both at school and at home as it was easier to do work at home and painted some work at home. I think that some of my tracing could be of better standard and I should’ve been more imaginative and I could have used more modern gadgets to fit in with Hamilton’s work. The two things that I liked most about my final design were the shoe that looked good in any colour and the trendy Chanel watch. I have enjoyed this assignment.  

No comments:

Post a Comment